Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Vengeance: Six

"Mike!" Ms. Madison crossed the room, an expresion of joy on her lovely features. "Boy, am I glad to see you!"

"And I'd glad to hear that, darling," Rake offered her an arm, "even if you are unusually demonstrative all of a sudden."

"I'll tell you why later," Ms. Madison told him, smiling sweetly. "Right now, I'm just happy you're here."

"Lady Sylvia," Rake sighed, "would you mind awfully telling me just exactly what's going on? Apart from Lynette's having a funny spell, that is."

"Oh, Michael!" Lady Sylvia giggled. "Our mystery guest, Mr. Matthew-Henry tells us you're the Green Man. Are you?"

"The Green Man?" Rake frowned. "I thought he was a myth. Lynette, what sort of joke is this?"

"Oh, it's no joke, is it, Lynette?" Bristow laughed mockingly. "Because you know the Green Man is no myth, don't you?"

"If you say so," Ms. Madison smiled innocently, recoving some of her spirits.

"And the idea of my being this sinister character," Michael Rake laughed. "Why, I'm just Lynette's beau - nothing else."

"I told you so!" Lady Sylvia exclaimed.

"But wasn't it convenient, Michael Rake just turning up when he was named as the Green Man?" the Disturber laughed mockingly. "Just in time.... How come?"
"Because it is the way of the Green Man." The French windows opened, and a familiar figure stepped into the room.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps I am truly The Green Man. What better disguise than one of his millions of fans who sit by their radio each night thrilling to his exploits?