Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Year's Vengeance: Five

A smile spread slowly over Ms. Madison's face, turning into a laugh which echoed through the mighty halls of Mainstone. She clapped her hands, looking at the Disturber with renewed confidence. He glared back at her.

"You expect me to believe that?" she scoffed. "Mike and the Green Man can't possibly be the same person."

"Can't they?" Bristow shook his head. "Tell me, Ms. Madison, have you ever seen them together?"

"I haven't seen Mike and the Prince of Wales together," Ms. Madison replied spiritedly, "but that doesn't mean they're one and the same person. What's your game, Disturber?"

"What is the game of the Disturber?" Bristow laughed. "I create chaos out of order. My motto is 'Out of One, Many.' But while you ponder this, while you wonder whether Mr. Rake is playing a little game with you, my blonde angel of death, I shall make hay."

"You can try," Ms. Madison shook her head, "but it won't work. I know your game, Bristow."
"All of it?" Bristow shook his head. "I sincerely doubt that. After all, you can't possibly have seen the men who surround this house. No-one will pass until my purpose is accomplished - the unmasking of the Green Man."
"You fiend!" Lady Sylvia spat, rounding on him, "and to think I welcomed you into this house!"
"Given that your beauty is matched only by your stupidity, Lady Sylvia," Bristow chuckled, "I should not worry too much."
"That's just not on!" a new voice broke in on the gathering. Looking up, Ms. Madison saw a familiar figure.
"Mike - Mr. Rake!" She shot to her feet.
"Lynette, darling," Rake drawled urbanely. "Do I intrude?"

No comments: