Friday, March 23, 2007

The Law of the Green Man: Part Five

The uniformed flunkey greeted Lady Sylvia with a deep bow. The young aristocrat smiled, walking into the hall of the old manor house. The man announced 'Lady Sylvia Vaughan!"
Lady Sylvia was greeted by the tall, patrician figure of Sir Harold Rait. She curtseyed, presenting him her hand. This he kissed slowly, looking up into the eyes of the brunette.
"A pleasure to meet you, Lady Sylvia," he greeted her. "My house is truly graced by your presence."
"Flattery," she told the industrialist, will get you just about anywhere." She tried to add a slight simper to ber voice. "What's the party in aid of, Sir Harold?"

"Another record year for Rait Industries," he told her. "To what do I owe your presence?"
"A holiday," she told him. "I happened to be in the area and heard about the party. Have you ever heard of my missing a party in the area?"
"There you have me," the industrialist smiled gently. "Now, you'll have to excuse me, but I have to get back to the Ambassador."
And that was fine by her. As swiftly as she could, Lady Sylvia slipped out of the hall, into a deserted corridor. Opening the nearest door, she crept to the French Windows and unlocked them.
Her task done, the Green Man's newest agent slipped from the room. Now it was time for the Green Man to work.

No comments: