Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Revolution! Part Fifteen

Andrea was woken up by the insistent ringing of the 'phone by her bed. She reached for it sleepily and groaned incoherently into it. She resented being woken up so early in the day. The first rays of dawn were breaking over the city, reflecting in the water of the dock it was next to.

"This is the Green Man," came the familiar voice. "Andrea, Ms. Madison has been gassed by a mysterious figure by the Bank of England."

"An' you did nothing to help her?" the redhead shook her head. "What exactly's going on?"

"Something terrible," the Green Man told her. "I did not intervene when I saw the man who gassed Ms. Madison."

"You mean this 'Jack the Ripper' character," Andrea declared, "who is he?"

"I don't quite know," the Green Man told her. "But I have my suspicions. You see, I've met the man before. Long before any of you were involved with me."

"You mean an unsolved case?" Andrea's eyes widened.

"I don't," the Green Man told her. "The case was solved, and the man whose suicide marked that didn't kill himself. He was a serial killer, but he said that the spirit of the Jack the Ripper made him do it. And the figure he described was the man I saw gas Ms. Madison."

"Real live ghost, huh?" Andrea laughed. "Do you really mean it?"

"Perhaps," the Green Man replied. "Do you believe in evil, Andrea - real evil?"

"well, sure," the red head shot back. "I see enough of it, don't I?"

"What about the devil?" he asked again.

"What do you mean?" she demanded.

"City Hall," the Green Man told her. "Two hours. Ask for John Popple, the archivist. He knows what he must do."

No comments: