Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Terror: Part Thirteen

Ms. Madison looked at the monocled man, as he glared across the table at her. She could not help but think that he bore a marked resemblance to Joseph Chamberlain.

"If... If you don't mind," she spoke falteringly, "I'd rather skip the supper."

The man laughed softly, shaking his head.

"You are a funny girl," he said, "and it will be a pity to see you die."

"That's easy to change," she replied swiftly, "just don't kill me." She smiled appealingly.

"That is not an option," she was told. "You will know the secret of the Terror. You already know too much as it is."

"I always do," came the cool reply. "Now, would you mind awfully telling me the rest?"

"That's easy," he smiled. "I have created a machine that can suppress all but the most elemental forces. As you know, I can block out all sounds. I can also block out light and heat. With my machine, I could freeze a whole city to death on a hot day, or plunge a country into darkness."

"And the disappearances?" the blonde enquired.

"A few months ago," the man declared, "one of my research assistants left here. My agents killed him, but not before he was able to let the secret of my machine get out. A number of people came to Victoria Falls to find me. I have had to slay them. You will be the next to die."

"If you knew," Ms. Madison smiled sweetly, "how many times people have said that, "you really would be surprised. Any questions for little me?"

"Just one," the man leaned forward, "who are you working for?"
The blonde laughed mockingly.
"You fool," she told him. "I'm not just some agent of a bad guy. I'm secretary to the Green Man."

No comments: