Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The Curse: Part Three

Lord Ambrose Vaughan's face was pale and drawn, glistening with perspiration. He seemed to be struggling to remain upright, as he leaned on the bannisters of the great staircase. Lady Sylvia had seen her brother ill before, but never like this.

"What's up?" she asked him breathlessly, "you..."

"It all started after you went away on that extended holiday. After that castle collapsed." Lord Ambrose shook his head. "A man came here, a scholar, researching the history of Mainstone. In the library, he found an ancient book, which said the site had been cursed when a gypsy encampment was moved to make way for the house.
"I laughed at it at first, of course, but then strange things started to happen. Cows were found dead in the park, a horse was found dead in the stables - and that's really odd, because I don't keep horses in the stables - and then I fell ill. The doctors have no idea what it is, they haven't been able to identify the symptoms or anything."

"I can guess what it is," Lady Sylvia sighed. "Thismorning, I overheard some people talking about the curse as if it was in their control. I'd be willing to bet all this that the 'curse' is some sort of plant."

"But...but why?" Lord Ambrose looked confused. "What could anyone possibly get out of this curse?"
"I'll find out..." Lady Sylvia's eyes narrowed. "I'll just need a friend to help me. And the Green Man."

No comments: